Professional companies providing air conditioning services are often asked a number of questions and the top query put forward is: How often do the air ducts require cleaning? The question has become even more popular in recent times as people have learnt more and more about health concerns and how poor indoor air quality can have negative effects on the residents’ health. Read on to find out more on the topic.
What is Air Duct Cleaning
Most of us are already aware of the importance of good indoor air quality since indoor air pollution is finally considered a serious health problem. Therefore, a number of companies have taken it upon themselves to deal with the situation. Most of these companies offer packages for cleaning the air ducts that focus on the following:
- System size that needs cleaning
- Climatic region
- System accessibility
- Contamination level
Duct cleaning generally covers cleaning of several components of the HVAC systems. This includes the return and supplying ducts as well as the diffusers, drip pans, cooling and heating coils, fan housing as well as the air-handling unit.
Why is Air Duct Cleaning important
If an HVAC is not properly installed, operated, and maintained, there is a great chance of the components becoming contaminated with debris, pollens, dust, and other particles in the atmosphere.
Moreover, if there is moisture in the atmosphere, there are also the chances of microbial growth. Spores from such growth will then be released into the indoor air of your house. Most of these substances are contaminants that are responsible for inducing allergies and other symptoms in people exposed to them for longer periods.
Since unclean air ducts are prone to create contamination and health issues, it is advisable that air ducts must be cleaned properly. Moreover, you should always opt for a professional service as there are a number of things that must be taken care of.
There are different methods used for air duct cleaning and only a professional service provider will know how to perform the job the right way. Moreover, they will be properly equipped for carrying out the job as well. Also, some times, the cleaning process needs chemical treatment and that means that proper safety measures must be taken accordingly. That is something only a professional will be able to deal with.
Things to consider when Opting for Air Ducts Cleaning
While it is generally considered a good practice to have the air ducts of your HVAC system properly cleaned, it would be even better for you to teach yourself a few things related to it. You must understand that calling for HVAC service providers for mild dirt in your air duct is only equal to spending money without any reason. A little dirt is fine and no matter how many times you call for the HVAC service providers, it is bound to build up again.
However, if you find yourself or any of your family members falling prey to environmental related health conditions, then it is time for you to take some actions.
Here are a few things you must consider when hiring the services of an HVAC provider:
- Always ask the service provider to show you the presence of mold before believing their rant about how severely your air duct is infested with the contaminants. They might just be bragging about the situation for monetary gains. You can also solve this problem by only opting for a reliable service provider
- Never try to take matters into your own hands. In case the air ducts are not properly cleaned, indoor air quality problems are likely to persist or even worsen. For example, a partially cleaned air duct system is likely to release greater amount of dust than if it had been left unclean
- Only cleaning the mold off the air ducts is not enough. If you will not treat the conditions responsible for causing the mold, they are most likely to return as well
- Always ask the HVAC service provider to clean all parts of your HVAC that are susceptible to developing molds. Many times, molds get deposited on the inner side of the HVAC components that can cause several problems later
- If there is insulation installed and it gets wet and moldy, it is impossible to clean effective and therefore, it is better to have it replaced instead of wasting money on cleaning
Selecting a Service Provider
Inadequately performed air duct cleaning may be a cause for greater nuisance than it is worth. When it comes to selecting a service provider to take care of the problems with your HVAC, it is better to take a few things into consideration before finalizing a particular service provider. These are as follows:
- Always check that the service provider is experienced enough to tackle the problems with your HVAC. Make sure they have previously worked on systems like the one you own
- They are professionally trained and will work according to the recommendations of the concerned authorities
- They must be ready to provide you with all types of services in order to ensure proper and long term cleaning
- They must have the relevant license and are authorized to provide service in your area
- Always inquire about the service charges beforehand
- Do your research and go for the company that provides the best service at an affordable cost
Are you ready to have your air ducts cleaned by a professional and reliable service provider in Arizona area? Then visit Mesa Plumbing for superior service at affordable costs!